Wednesday 23 March 2016

Washing Judas's feet

A reflection on  John 13.3-16



Washing Judas’ feet

Beneath my damp hands 
are your ordinary feet 
much like the feet of my other 
weary and wary  friends.


The skin is rough,
with tiny cuts from stones still healing.
The heels are cracked.
The toes have dirt in the nails 
just like my feet …

But soon …
too soon
these feet will carry you
along the path of betrayal
along the path which will
bring me to my death,
bring my feet to nailing.                                                             

You wanted something from me    
I could not give.                                                                                                           
You wanted violence and overthrow,
power expressed through battle and bloodshed.

There will be violence,
but I will absorb it as I bleed,
take with me in my dying
the power  you craved …

Love  - which is my Essence -
will prevail.
Resurrection waits
‘neath  Abba’s wings -
and my feet shall spring to dancing.    

            

No comments:

Post a Comment