Saturday 1 January 2022

Joy and little ducks 'down under'

 1st January 2022

A new year's resolution  - the only one to be honest - is to do something each day that gives me joy.        Writing gives me joy - so I find myself back on line to share little bits of my life with you from time to time - to make a connection across the miles and minutes as I share the work of grace in my life. 

I have to confess that while writing is a joy-bringer, what would give me even greater joy would be if what I share with you opened a  window through which you might glimpse something of the Loving Presence  [ And a heartfelt thank you to my friend Bruce M. who first brought me the name of Loving Presence as a way of naming God] 

On our walk this morning to Kinloch Marina - Lake Taupo - I noticed a sleeping community of New Zealand scaups - shiny black little ducks with rounded flat beaks and bright yellow eyes - all closed of course as they bobbed up and down, the motion of the lake changing with the wind and the boats moving in and out of the small harbour. 

I started to think - 

I love these little ducks 

They're about a metre apart 

Good at social distancing!

Covid  

Sleeping 

And then I thought about how much sleep has been part of my last two difficult years - sleep to recover from my husband's health challenges and my own burnout, sleep as an alternative to action when action just seemed too hard,  sleep as a form of escape, the early days when sleep was rarely restorative ... 

But then I noticed another duck. 

Entering stage right,  it paddled gently across in front of the sleepers. Its bright eyes were open - wide awake it could see what was going on, could absorb the beauty of the morning and could alert the others to any threat. 

Maybe this little duck was reminding me of the Loving Presence in my life - always there, always ready to guide and encourage whenever I 'wake up' and see what's really around me; the Loving Presence always ready to connect me with neighbours whoever they may be, to remind me that we're in this life together and I'm not alone - 

and nor are you. 







No comments:

Post a Comment