Friday 19 February 2016

early morning


It's been a long time.
A lot has happened.
But here I am and this morning I found myself again at the edge of Lake Taupo, listening to the rhythm of the tiny waves, and the rowdy chorus of plovers down the beach. 
I remembered an earlier morning visit to the lake five years ago  [ they are rare as I'm not a 'get-up-and-go' person in the mornings] but I had prised myself from the warmth of my husband's back and had walked the 3 minutes to the lake edge ... and as I had watched the wake-up routines of ducks and heron, scaub and cormorant and swans-in-the-making, some words began to take shape  - so here they are for you. May they help you picture a classic New Zealand morning and enjoy the blessing of God's gifts in creation.

Beloved  -
I would feed you with
            ease of arising
            lake water washing
            shimmer of poplars
            silence of sunshine
            memory of singing
            blessing of baptism
            kingfisher watching
            snowpeak of mountain
            warm scent of roses
            clamber of clematis
            forget-me-not sweet.
Your night fast is broken,
welcome the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment